Re: [Texmacs-dev] Nonbreaking spaces (was: Publishing TeXmacs documents)

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Nonbreaking spaces (was: Publishing TeXmacs documents)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:32:01 -0700

More about non-breaking spaces.

Earlier in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2004-08/msg00039.html

I pointed out that the only way to make TeXmacs recognize
a nonbreaking space correctly in both the exported latex
file and in TeXmacs itself was to put \nobreaks both
before and after the space.

I find it unergonomic to have to type space M-/ every time
I want a nonbreaking space, so I patched my personal
copy of kbd-emacs.scm to make M-~ insert a nonbreaking
space, implemented this way.

(Since M-~ and A-~ are equivalent, there is no
functionality lost by this change.)

However, there is still a problem. In TeX, the ~ is not an
exact functional equivalent for a space combined with a
nobreak.

The usual way in TeX to abbreviate ``page 5'' is p.~5.

If you tex the following two statements, both suppress
line breaking after the p., but the second gives correct
spacing. Without it, TeX assumes that the period ends the
sentence and inserts some extra space.

p.{\nobreak} 5

p.~5

Daniel Bump