Re: [Texmacs-dev] What is http://darwinports.opendarwin.org ?

From: Gregory Wright
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] What is http://darwinports.opendarwin.org ?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 06:10:22 -0400

Hi Joris,

It's currently a port of TeXmacs-1.0.4-R2 and I maintain it.

(BTW, "darwinports.com" is not associated with the darwinports
project. The main home page is darwinports.opendarwin.org.)

Darwinports is similar to fink in that it is an infrastructure for porting
software that runs on unix-alikes to OS X. The main difference is that
it uses Tcl instead of make as it's implementation language (so it's
a lot faster to learn how to write Portfiles that Makefiles). Darwinports also has a method for having multiple versions of the same port installed,
with only one active at a time.

There has been sporadic progress toward a binary package builder
that uses the darwinports infrastructure.

The principal advantage of fink is that it has more ports, and a
more structured unstable/stable release system.

Best Wishes,
Greg

Gregory Wright
Antiope Associates LLC