Re: [Texmacs-dev] disk caches and startup time

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] disk caches and startup time
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:48:58 +0200

David Allouche <address@hidden> writes:

> Something to try would be first reading all the relevant texmacs
> files, then all the revelant tex files, then maybe some relevant guile
> files to prime the disk cache. Since the files for a given software
> package are likely to be close to one another on the disk, that might
> end up improving the performance.

Hmm, I wouldn't count on that. The OS improves on that side. For
example, recent Linux kernel (2.6) have an optimized scheduler that
optimizes disk block accesses to reduce disk head moves.

Could it be possible to improve the laziness of the loading?

But, first of all, I would prefer to have a break-down of the load
time. To attack the most costly sub-parts first.

> Attached is my pet memory filler, complete with an ascii spinner.

Thank you. It is quite efficient. :)

Yours,
d.
--