Re: [Texmacs-dev] iconv support on cygwin

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] iconv support on cygwin
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:55:58 +0100

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:38:57PM +0100, Andreas Seidl wrote:

> I got these remarks as a feedback from my cygwin package. Is is unclear to
> me, if/how iconv support gets included. Please see the following comment,
> I have attached the config.log file. This was version 1.0.3.2.

FYI, the configure script for the detection of iconv was mostly copied
from libxml. The relevant thread in their mailing list archive is highly
informative, read it to the end, it covers many bad solutions.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2001-July/msg00002.html

As far as I can remember, cygwin was one of those systems where iconv
was not in libc but required libiconv as a special package.

If it were only me, missing iconv would cause ./configure to fail. But
Joris insisted that external libraries (read, anything but libc and
xlib) be "optional", thus the current behaviour.

I guess one could somewhat handle UTF8 and ISO-8859-1 in the HTML parser
if that would turn out to be really needed. But that was extra trouble I
did not need at the time.

--
                                                            -- ddaa