Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] keymaps II

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] keymaps II
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:21:55 +0100

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 05:13:57PM +0100, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 14:32, David Allouche wrote:
>
> > > But texmacs inserts some other characters (something like z + "check"),
> > > so
> > > no luck here :(
> >
> > You have been bitten by incompatible encodings. INSERT-STRING expects a
> > string in the Cork encoding (used internally by TeXmacs).
>
> If I cut and paste the z with caron/hachek from TeXmacs into another
> application (like the mail user agent), I get º (masculine). Similarly,
> lowercase crossed ell gives ª (ordfeminine).
>
> May I suggest that for locales supporting Unicode, the cut/paste
> operations translate to/from Unicode whenever equivalent code positions
> exist?

That would make sense. The unicode conversion tables are almost stable
and need more testing.

The problems are:

   -- What the hell should we do when pasting stuff for which texmacs
      has no symbol, like ª and º? Probably the right answer
      is the font logic should be improved so this would be a lesser
      problem and appropriate symbols for all latin1 characters should
      be defined, but I do not see this coming right now.

   -- By default, texmacs copy/paste use the "texmacs" format, which by
      definition expects Cork. Using anything else would break things in
      subtle and perverse ways because the current encoding scheme is
      broken, among other things the encoding depends on the context. To
      have the conversion you suggest, the default would have to be
      something else. Maybe "verbatim" format (stripping structure) or
      "tmml" (texmacs xml) format with an option to disable use of
      character entities... not sure what would be right.

   -- How do you know from the locale what is the encoding to use for
      copy-paste? That is a mere RTFM question, but it would be better
      if someone already knowing the Right Way could tell us.

--
                                                            -- ddaa