Re: [Texmacs-dev] Proposal for consens: Quotation mark styles

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Proposal for consens: Quotation mark styles
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:21:41 +0100

Am Freitag, 14. November 2003 17:02 schrieb Joris van der Hoeven:
> > That's a great idea: make ["] insert a pair of automatic quotes and place
> > the cursor in between.
>
> OK; this has been done for Dutch, English, French, German and Swiss.

Really? Have you done that "automatic quote" configuration stuff already? I
thought, the whole thing would become a long term thing somewhere on a long
ToDo list...

> > > Is that so? Germans: please give your opinion!
> >
> > I am a German user myself. I guess, only experts would even think about
> > swiss codes. There might be some surprise when typing ["] produces a pair
> > of swiss codes, but everybody should understand intuitively and be happy
> > with it.
>
> Should one write >> blah << or >>blah<<?

No spaces.

> In French, one should write << blah >>.

Really? Sure about it? Seems strange to me. Well, French typesetting always
seems to be a bit spacier than other languages. Just thinking of that "two
spaces after '.'"-typewriter-rule...

In any case, spanish quotes seem not to have that extra space. See the paper I
mentioned before:
        http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rolfruhig/2828PDF/2002Typesetting.pdf

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
______________________Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>

    Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
    Institut für Theoretische Physik III
    Staudtstr. 7  ...  D-91058 Erlangen  ...  Room No. U1.526
    Tel: +49 9131 / 85-28816  ...  Mobile: +49 179 / 7475199