[Texmacs-dev] Fonts

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:11:52 +0200 (CEST)

For the next version (see CVS), I implemented support for

  1) Type 3 font generation for Pdf export.
  2) Support for TrueType fonts.

The implementation is OK for the present purposes,
but several improvements can still be made.

For instance, the Pdf export does not deal with hyperlinks yet.
The TrueType implementation bluntly uses 'locate' to locate ttf fonts.
Moreover, the fonts need to be explicitly defined, as usual,
in $TEXMACS_PATH/progs/fonts. Also, we do not use any additional
font information provided by Freetype. We finally do all
anti-aliasing ourselves.

In the future, I plan to modernize the TeXmacs font system,
so as to remove most of the above disadvantages. I also noticed that
most TeX fonts are now available in TrueType format. This opens
the road for removing the dependency on TeX. Of course, this would
also requires someone to write bibliography support in TeXmacs which
does not depend on BiBTeX. But more on this when the Windows port
will have progressed...