Re: [Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:29:10 +0200

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:21:39PM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:

> The problem with debian unstable is that there is an automatic
> migration into debian testing, provided that some criteria
> are met (compiles on all architectures where it is supposed
> to compile, no bugs above a certain severity level, etc.). The
> only way to block this automatic migration would be to file
> a dummy bug of release critical severity against texmacs, and
> this is not what I want to do.
>
> This is why I suggested the experimental distribution instead.
> There are, however, other possibilities, like:
> - uploading to my webpage at people.debian.org
> - uploading into the ftp area at savannah (if this possible?)
> - etc.

The problem with the Savannah FTP is that since TeXmacs is a GNU
project, its FTP area is hosted on gnu.org (not Savannah) and the GNU
sysadmins are quite demanding. Last time I asked for access, I got an
answer explaining I had to do a number of things including sending my
phone number and postal address and time when I can be reached so they
could verify my ssh public key fingerprint (supposedly by phone).

Since I had no compelling reason to get FTP access (just wanted to put a
file telling to go look at ftp.texmacs.org), I just gave up. If you want
to give it try, you should ask <address@hidden>.

> I just would like to keep uploading simple for me, for instance
> a scp to a place where I can register the public part of my
> ssh key. And I would like to restrict to only one place where
> I upload by hand.
>
> Maybe I should ask on debian-users to see what people prefer?

I am under the impression that the usual "best practice" is to put
experimental debian package in an unofficial apt source in
people.debian.org. A good thing is also to register the source on
www.apt-get.org. There are probably automated ways to set up and
maintain this "unofficial apt source" stuff, but I do not know that
much.

--
                                                            -- ddaa