RE: [Texmacs-dev] New tm_axiom.c & question on stderr

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Texmacs-dev] New tm_axiom.c & question on stderr
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:01:43 -0400

TeXmacs Developers;

I have posted a new version of tm_axiom to the Axiom
web site. See Axiom_Texmacs 1.0.2 at

    http://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=axiom

This version is compatible with the recent alpha release
of Axiom/OS (i.e. Axiom / Open Source. We need an
appropriate name for this new version of Axiom. What do
you think?). It expects only one initial prompt from
Axiom, not two like the older version of Axiom. It also
incorporates the sophisticated LaTeX equation line breaking
algorithm that was developed specifically for use with
Axiom by Robert Sutor (a major contributor to Axiom).

I have two questions. First, I would like to be able to
pass some command line options to the tm_axiom program
when it is started by TeXmacs. Specifically, for compatiblity
with the older version of Axiom, it would be nice to be
able to adjust the number of intial prompts, for example
by setting it to 2 for the NAG commercial version. Another
option might be setting the line break length. Right now
the value of 4.5 inches is hard coded.

Assuming I can pass these options, the next issue is how
to conveniently set them inside of TeXmacs. The number
of initial prompts only needs to be set when the Axiom
interface is installed or changed. But the line break
length should be easily adjusted by the user and must
relate to a parameter already maintained automatically by
TeXmacs and stored with each document.

The second question I have is: What is the best approach
to implement a new Session menu option that would
re-execute all of the sessions contained in a document?
This is a very common operation when using TeXmacs as
a "worksheet" interface to computer algebra systems. It
needs to be able to re-execute all of the embedded
session commands (for Axiom and other external systems)
starting from the top of the document and working down
to the end. It must make only the minimum change to the
document to update all of the session outputs without
introducing any new session inputs.

Should I try to do this through a scheme script? (Oh no,
more stuff to learn ... <sigh>).

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Bill Page.