[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs Powered CAS documentation

From: Ayal Pinkus
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs Powered CAS documentation
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:02:48 +0200

Hi Offray, Joris,

I want to make some contribution in this vacation to CAS comunity
(specially using TeXmacs, the CAS glue ;-) ). I can help also with
localization to spanish for some doc, and I offered before to try to
make another Scheme interpreter work with TeXmacs, but I feel that the
TeXmacs powered doc can help to more people and is more suited to me.
Any advice or indication about where to start will be apreciated.

A first step would clearly be to provide help for CAS' where
no online help is available yet (Yacas for instance).

It might be important to know that Yacas has its own mark-up
language in which we 'define' the documentation. If you look in
the manmake/ directory, in the *.txt files, you will see the documentation
right there. We then use a combination of Perl and some Yacas
scripts to convert to for instance: html, pdf and ps. The documentation
tools and the mark-up language are also documented. So if we can
find a mapping from our mark-up primitives to TeXMacs primitives
it should not be too hard to convert our documentation to TeXMacs
form.

Regarding internationalization; I know this is important for users
in countries like Germany, Spain, France... We need to think of
a way to completely translate the system and keep the translated
version up to date. Commercial CAS don't seem to be able to do
this, maybe we can ;-) The php team have a very nice scheme, where
people can collaborate to add documentation, but also to provide
translated versions of certain pages. This probably works well
with a project with many users, and with a web application that
supports this.

Of course, all help from the maintainers of the different
CAS systems would be very welcome too.

Unfortunately I have very little time to devote to Yacas currently,
so I must be careful where I spend it. But I'm always happy to
help...

Any way, Joris, at least I will see you at LSM next week ;-)
Back to preparing my talk.

Best wishes,
Ayal