Re: [Texmacs-dev] Selection of integrals

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Selection of integrals
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:34:03 +0200

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 01:00:22PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>   +
>     /
>     | f(x) dx
>     /
>          +
>
> If I drag the pointer from the upper left + to the lower right + in the
> above expression, I think it should select the entire expression, clear
> through the "dx".  When it sends that to the CAS, it ought to send
> something like "'integrate(f(x),x)", right?
>
> But when you are editting just plain math, perhaps that's not what you
> always want?  So maybe then, holding the shift key and swiping will
> select only the \integral and the "f(x)"?

This kind of suggestion comes up now and then.

There are two approaches to this problem:

  -- Use structures like (integral "0" "<infty>" (mathapply "f" "x")
     "x") and provide operation to allow conversion between the
     current "implicit structure" format and this new "explicit
     structure" format.

     Since the macros are still broken in math mode (the index and
     exponent positions are not correct) this is not really possible
     a.t.m.

  -- Provide more structured selections and motion commands. There are
     already structured motion commands. Those might be made smarter
     w.r.t. to math expressions and they may be generalized to
     structured selections commands.

     I do not know what is the status of this suggestion.

--
                                                            -- ddaa