Re: [Texmacs-dev] AltGr-Key and XFree86-4.3

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] AltGr-Key and XFree86-4.3
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:16:29 +0200

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 07:49:43PM -0600, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 15:12, David Allouche wrote:
> > The correct behaviour is, for example, to have "Alt-a" produce the
> > "ae" ligature character. And "Alt-' e" should produce "é" (e acute)
> > assuming your keymap has dead keys).
>
> No. "Alt-a" starts an "abbr" (abbreviation, I assume) environment.
> "Alt-' e", however, does produce "é" (e acute).

We are not talking about the same thing. The message you answered read:

    > On MacOSX, it seems to work, both with Apple's X11 and with a
    > self-compiled xfree86-4.3.0, and with US and French keyboard.
    >
    > "Seems to work" means I don't see any difference to the
    > unpatched version. I don't actually know what the problem was
    > that was solved by the patch. There is no AltGr key on Apple
    > keyboards, there is only the alt key that has a similar
    > function.

    Last time I checked, the Alt key was bound by default to the same
    keysym as AltGr.

Apple keyboards do not have a AltGr key. Only a Alt key which is
generally mapped (AFAIK) to work as AltGr.

> > It seems that problem was that with XFree 4.3 this did not work
> > correctly and the Alt key was ignored (as far as it not a TeXmacs
> > modifier). This patch is an attempt to fix this problem.
>
> I don't recall messing around with the way TeXmacs maps its modifiers,
> but I do know that when I assign, for example "H-something", it never
> works.  So far, the only "H-" modifier that works is "H-'" for (rprime
> "<dag>").

I do not know about that, but I have the conviction that the keyboard
handling is still broken in a number of subtle ways (e.g., I have
recurring with variants on some machines with no apparent reason).

> > PS: another important thing to check is that the numeric keypad
> > behaves correctly with respect to NumLock, Caps-Lock and Shift. The
> > Shift modifier should reverse the NumLock switch and Caps-Lock should
> > have no effect on the keypad.
>
> Yep, works here !
>
> P.S.: I am running RedHat 9 with XFree86-4.3.0 and sawfish as my
> window manager.

Thanks.

--
                                                            -- ddaa