Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs 1.0.1.10 and gs, one more thing

From: Michèle Garoche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs 1.0.1.10 and gs, one more thing
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 18:27:26 +0200

Le dimanche, 11 mai 2003, à 12:45 Europe/Paris, Martin Costabel a écrit :
Michèle Garoche wrote:
So, that's a problem if they are gif files, as we are not supposed to use gif files (license), are we? They were integrated last year by Joris (23rd October 2002). Don't know who created them. In any case, they should be true png files.

Yes, something is wrong here. Actually, not all of them are gif. here is the ouput of 'file' I get:

martin% file *
arrow_left.png: PNG image data, 50 x 50, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced arrow_right.png: PNG image data, 50 x 50, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_alpha.png: PNG image data, 15 x 15, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_lquote.png: PNG image data, 13 x 16, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_oe.png: PNG image data, 17 x 18, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_pm.png: PNG image data, 15 x 15, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_rquote.png: PNG image data, 12 x 16, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced char_sum.png: PNG image data, 20 x 20, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tm_bold.png:      GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_copy.png: PNG image data, 17 x 17, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced tm_emphasize.png: PNG image data, 16 x 17, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced tm_item.png: PNG image data, 17 x 17, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
tm_language.png:  GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_load.png:      GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_math.png: PNG image data, 16 x 16, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
tm_print.png:     GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_save.png:      GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_section.png:   GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
tm_style.png:     GIF image data, version 87a, 17 x 17,
All the files that are RGBS and not named as tm_xxx are actually only used on the website to serve as links for next pages and previous pages (arrowxxx) and to represent special characters (the others). Those named tm_xxx are the icons used in the icons bars and by me none loads even the so called RGBA (copy for example).

And despite the fact that, as David said, the license concerns LZW algorithm and should end this year, there are a bunch of graphics applications which have (currently) suppressed the possibility to use or save as gif files. So, it appears to me (maybe silly) that those files should be better true png files to avoid user's non-capability to see them. Then as a side-effect, we'll have only to deal with ps and png files inside the whole manuals (it's already difficult enough to have something which loads correctly on all platforms, without adding unnecessary difficulties, sounds to me like laying one's head on the block.)

By the way, I've tested the new Fink today's version, works at the yesterday's.

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org/>