[Texmacs-dev] Metapost labels

From: bump
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Metapost labels
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:34:27 -0800

I'm writing to point out a problem with TeXmacs' handling of
metapost generated encapsulated postscript files.

Metapost labels do not seem to be possible to use with
TeXmacs.

It is probably not very important for metapost labels to be
displayed in the TeXmacs window, but it seems essential
for the exported postscript file to display them. Labels
are an important metapost feature.

The metapost generated .eps file does not include bitmapped
fonts corresponding to the tex fonts used in the
labels. Dvips handles this by itself generating font
bitmaps. These are missing from the TeXmacs generated
postscript file.

For definiteness I'm including a simple metapost file
using labels and a tex file which correctly displays the
figure. If you run tex and dvips you will get a good
postscript file. But I am unable to use such a metapost
file with TeXmacs.

Daniel Bump

------------------ weights.mp ------------------

beginfig(1);
sx:=45; sy:=45;
z0=(0,0);
z1=(sx,0);
z2=(-.5sx,.866sy);
z3=z1+z2;
z4=-z1;
z5=-z2;
z6=-z3;
z7=(1/3)*(z1+z3);
z8=(1/3)*(z2+z3);
fill 3.5*z7--z0--3.5*z8--cycle withcolor .9white;
draw 3.5*z7--z0--3.5*z8;
pickup pencircle scaled 2
drawdot z7;
drawdot z8;
pickup pencircle scaled 3.5;
drawdot z1;
drawdot z2;
drawdot z3;
drawdot z4;
drawdot z5;
drawdot z6;
label.rt(btex $\alpha_1$ etex, z1);
label.top(btex $\alpha_2$ etex, z2);
label.rt(btex $\epsilon_1$ etex, z7);
label.lft(btex $\epsilon_2$ etex, z8);
label(btex $\cal C_+$ etex, .5*z3+1.75*z7);
endfig;

\magnification=1200
\input epsf

\line{\epsffile{weights.1}}