Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Margins and export filters

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Margins and export filters
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:45:52 +0100 (MET)

> > Don't default style parameter values /become/ part of the structure
> > as soon as the buffer comes into existence ? After all, if I open up
> > TeXmacs and just start typing my, say, letter, then print it, won't
> > I get default margins and a default document structure ?
>
> I agree. And I think the best way to get out of the dilemma is to pass
> the converter a typesetter loaded with the document to convert. Then
> you can get whatever metadata you want.

No: if the margins are not explicitly set by the user, then they are not
part of the structure, so LaTeX may chose other defaults than TeXmacs.

I also recall that TeXmacs does not aim to reproduce or approximate
the LaTeX layout, even though we might add some facilities to this aim.
For instance, we might add a configuration option for including
default style parameters during the export. However, I do not think
that this would be a good default option.