Re: [Texmacs-dev] native and GPL port of QT to win32

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] native and GPL port of QT to win32
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:13:17 -0500

On Tuesday February 04 2003 07:56, address@hidden wrote:

> Though Qt is good technically, I tend not to trust the licensing
> policies of TrollTech very much.
>
> Also I find it risky to base a win32 port, which is *very* important
> to the commercial viability of a project on Qt *and* kde-cygwin. If
> for some reason the development of kde-cygwin is stalled or Qt decide
> to change their licensing policy, we would get into trouble.

David,
such strong statements require some explanations.

1: Why exactly don't you trust TrollTech licenses??
   AFAIK, Qt/X11 is GPL licensed and GPL cannot be revoked for the code
   already released into public.

2: What exactly do you mean by TeXmacs "commercial viability"? Do you
   imply by any chance that win32 port of TeXmacs will be closed
   source?? In TeXmacs documentation Joris gives some good reasons why
   TeXmacs should (always) be open source. Has that policy changed
   recently?

Thanks,
--Leo--