[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:36:18 +0100 (MET)

It would be great if David could charter a Windows computer
at Rennes and try to provide some support for Cygwin when
TeXmacs 1.0.1 will be released. Indeed, I would like to mention
that we now support Cygwin, but the following additional work
has to be done:

1) Complete the web page http://www.texmacs.org/Download/Cygwin.html
   into a self-contained page, i.e. a page which contains Compile.html,
   but adapted to Cygwin.

2) Make a binary distribution of TeXmacs on cygwin. The idea is to
     a) Create a directory $HOME/cygwin
     b) configure TeXmacs using ./configure --prefix=$HOME/cygwin
     c) make, make install
     d) make a tarball of everything inside $HOME/cygwin
   Then users will just have to decompress the tarball in
   their main cygwin directory. It should just be checked whether
   we need different binaries for different versions of Windows
   (95, 2000, XP, NT, etc.).

3) Make a binary distribution with Cygwin and TeXmacs and
   possibly other interesting software, like all supported
   free computer algebra systems.

   Loïc Pottier already helped us a bit with that:
   he has built a binary CD with Cygwin and TeXmacs for us,
   which is available at ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/cygwin

   For the near future, we might use these binaries and
   replace TeXmacs by its latest version. Ideally speaking,
   one should perform a fresh installation of cygwin on a PC,
   with only all necessary programs installed (say gcc, guile,
   emacs, teTeX, wget, curl, xfig, etc.) and maybe some small
   other programs (maxima, pari-gp, macaulay 2, etc.).
   It would probably be good to use a PC for this where
   no other use is made of Cygwin than building
   the TeXmacs CD.

I appreciate it if David started to work on this tomorrow,
wednesday. Part 1) can reasonably be done in (half) one day.
Part 2) should not be hard, but it might require David to
become more acquainted with Cygwin, and it might require
some testing. Part 3) requires mainly a clean installation
of Cygwin and again some testing. It would be good if Part 1
could be finished as soon as we advertise for TeXmacs 1.0.1 and
the other parts not too long afterwards (maybe just after David's
christmas hollidays).

Also, any feedback on Loïc's CD would be appreciated.