Re: [Texmacs-dev] CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS ignored

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS ignored
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:30:34 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:33:55AM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> [...]

Indeed, the configure script overrides CXXFLAGS and does not
substitute CPPFLAGS. But these variables can be overriden when running
make (as Ralph points it). For CPPFLAGS, that is obviously non
standard behaviour (according to the autoconf doc) but for CXXFLAGS I
do not know...

I would happily change the configure script to make it more standard
on that issue, but then I need some documentation defining WHAT is the
standard behaviour w.r.t. to overriding/extending compiler flags in a
configure script. I could not find anything explicit in the
documentation of autoconf.

> I have a different, though maybe related, problem: If I call
> "make CXXFLAGS=-fPIC", then the compilation options are
> lost. What is the best way to pass an extra compile option
> to make?

I think the best way is to let us know which platforms require -fPIC
(linking to shared libs, huh?) so we can add it to the configure
script.

We could add a variable CXXEXTRA, but the whole thing would begin to
be a bit messy in my opinion. I would rather find some doc specifying
clearly how variables specified in the environment of ./configure
should interact with the guessed values.

For -finstrument-functions, you should pass it as a parameter to the
--enable-debug option of the configure script.

Beware however, that will disable optimizations by default. You must
specify --enable-optimize force optimization off (without explicit
parameter, that should restore the default optimization flags, but
recent configure scripts are a bit broken on that point).

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org