Re: [Texmacs-dev] string encoding

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] string encoding
Date: 15 Nov 2002 21:56:53 +0100

> The < and > characters are used as a placeholder for extensions:
> < followed by any sequence of non-<> characters, followed by >
> is interpreted as one single character. This allows us to use
> a potentially infinite alphabet. In particular, the TeXmacs encoding
> will englobe unicode in the future, without being limited to unicode
> (we do have some mathematical characters which are not in unicode).

In the light of adding support for XML:

1) How should a <char> sequence be mapped to XML (if the corresponding
char are not in unicode)? &lt;char&gt; is not that readable.

2) When and how will TeXmacs encoding englobe unicode? More concretely:
I am trying to write an export filter from texmacs to xml, and I need a
facility to convert texmacs strings to unicode strings. Should I try to
implement a cork<->unicode conversion by myself, or would it be more
sensible to wait?

> > BTW, has my string_search_and_replace.patch been or applied or has it
> > been rejected? Just curious...
>
> I don't remember having seen that patch (but I receive soooo many messages)...
> If it is on Savannah, then I will take a look at it and let you know
> as soon as I work through the incoming patches.

I originally posted the patch to texmacs-dev. I put it on Savannah just
now.

Felix