Re: [Texmacs-dev] Translations

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Translations
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:15:27 +0100 (MET)

> I would really like if you can tell us what you are up to.
>
> In which way would that be superior to the format-string approach?
>
> How would that address the problem of
> words-which-are-not-always-translated-the-same?

I have no time to explain this now, but I promise you that it will be much
better and not very hard to implement. It is rather the systematic
migration to such a new implementations which will cost a few days.
So wait and see...

> > With Andrey Grozin's tool, we *are* already able to use the .po corpus.
> > So if you want to fill out missing translations for new languages,
> > then please go ahead!
>
> Which tools?? Where can they be dowloaded? Did I miss a prominent link
> on TeXmacs web page or on Wiki?

Well, "Help -> Help us -> Internationalization",
or "http://www.texmacs.org/Web/Contribute.html"; (Translations),
or "http://www.texmacs.org/Web/Manual.html"; (tool).

> What I really mean is using GUI tools like KBabel which do ease
> maintenance of localizations a lot, but are based on PO.

Yes, so if someone can find the appropriate database of such .po files,
or constitute one for us, that would be great.

> > From a technical point of view, it is clear that .po files are a bad
> > system for the future, because the only "grammar rules" which you
> > can provide are string concatenations at predefined places.
> > What one really needs is a tree-based tool.
>
> That sounds great... but I do not see the problem with format strings.
> And what does that tree-based tool is going to do?
>
> Really, I do not mean to bother you, but I fear that localization of
> TeXmacs is becoming such a big work... The evolution of the GUI should
> not be impaired by the need of conserving the translation, but on the
> other hand we should find ways to lower the maintenance burden for
> translators.

No it is not a lot of work, yet still a few days.
Wait and see...