[Texmacs-dev] Re: Guile Cygwin

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Guile Cygwin
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:58:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Dan,

> Things are at a stand-still here until we get some pending exams and
> assignments out of the way.  We should be able to pick it up again in a
> couple weeks.

No problem; the port is not urgent. It would be nice to have something
ready in six months from now. By the way, I hope to have time to implement
the TMGUI protocol during december or so; this should make the porting of
the GUI much easier.

> As for guile, my partner in charge of the guile issue has advised me
> that he found some sort of windows solution.  What it is I am not sure,
> but I will ask him next time we meet.

OK. I remind you that we can also ask for help from the Guile guys;
their responsiveness is OK.

> As for my end, things are going reasonably well.  I ran into some
> places where code has to be reorganized and rewritten due to fork() and
> execl() calls which do not exist, nor does windows allow this type of
> functionality.  There is quite a simple workaround, but it will require
> a small change in the way child processes are kicked off by texmacs.

Cool.

> I have added my name to the wiki, and will soon add a section relating
> to our work, when there is something important to say.

That is very helpful. I noticed that several people want to help porting
TeXmacs to Windows (about three to five). Of course, everyone has his/her
own ideas on this, and some people may turn out not to do very much.
But in any case, it is good to share experiences and ideas and
that is why the Wiki is an interesting tool.

> I have not been posting to the newsgroup, as I have not seen any reason
> to crowd the group with meaningless messages.  I will however start
> posting all our correspondances there if that is what you wish.

This is a bit the same story as above. If you have a specific problem,
even if it seems small to you, then you should post it to address@hidden,
because several people are likely to encounter the same problem and
other people as me might help you.

> Please let me know if that QT version is working.  If so we may be able
> to use that with a bit of tweaking.

I did not try yet. The best would be to try yourself :^)
I first want to get the work on TMGUI done; after that I will look
more seriously to Qt and possible other GUI's.

Yours, Joris