[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs & Greek

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs & Greek
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 23:20:57 +0200 (MET DST)

> As I can see Yannis fonts can produce only monotonic (modern) greek text.
> Kd can produce monotonic AND polytonic (ancient) greek text.
>
> As far as the translation issue, it is more difficult than I thought,
> especially when it comes to a)technical terms b)words or phrases that I
> don't know their role in the program and so I can't translate them. I
> asked for some help and I'm waiting for answers. Anyway it'll take some
> time but I can do it...

This is normal; translating is quite complicated actually.
But incomplete translations are also welcome and there is no hurry.

> Thomas Esser answered to my mail:
>
> "Hi Dimitris,
>
> thanks for you suggestion about greek fonts in teTeX. I do have a problem
> with your suggestion and that is that I need some help in identifying
> what *exactly* I should add to teTeX.
>
> In principle, I agree to add support for greek fonts and
> macros. Currently, I have the font set cbgreek which is supported by
> the greek option of the babel package.
>
> I'd be grateful if you could give me some help in identifying what needs
> to be added. Are you in contact with the "Greek TeX Friends Group"? If
> yes, what is their opinion?

This is good news. So now we need to study more precisely what precisely
is needed. But only Greek people can do this well...

> I told him that at this time I don't know what exactly technicaly needs
> to be done (except the font inclusion and encoding support). I also told
> him about the kd fonts and the TeXGreek package in
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/greek/ (which may contain valuable
> technical information for him). Waiting for his respond. I'll also try
> to contact with the Greek TeX Friends Group.
>
> What do you think? Is the  ISO-8859-7 support (the iso-8859-7.def file)
> and the set of fonts that we need? Could there anything else be needed?

I can't say. We basically need a font encoding which is capable of
representing everything you need (ancient & modern Greek?).
I also would like to be able to use the upright Greek characters
inside mathematics, but this should be no problem.
If we decide to use a non-standard encoding, then this is not a problem,
but we do have to write conversion tables in that case.

Best wishes and thanks for your efforts, Joris