Re: [Texmacs-dev] enums patch

From: Stéphane Payrard
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] enums patch
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:49:48 -0400

On (12/09/02 20:08), Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] enums patch
> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:08:56 +0200 (MET DST)
>

> > I need to get the Qt loop in first. I need some perl stuff to
> > demonstrate at YAPC. This a perl conference after all.
>
> OK; this issue is not really urgent. But it would be nice if
> it could be done before the next stable version 1.0.1 next month.
>
> > > Yes, but I want to continue to maintain a version based on Xlib
> > > (this both increases robustness and allows us not to vicerally
> > > depend on a specific toolkit).
> >
> > I understand that and you will be able to #ifdef out
> > the Qt stuff. Even at run-time, the default will be
> > your toolkit for a while. This makes things more complicated
> > but will allow to get the code in even if badly broken.
>
> In fact I will develop a clean TMGUI API,
> which should allow us to make these changes in a very modular way.
> Later on, others might wish to create a Gtk frontend or whatever.

I am less and less sure this is possible. And TeXmacs is certainly
peculiar because it builds the childrens gadget before their
father. On widgets based toolkit, parent windows are create before
children (so the name parent and children is appropriate) because
doing otherwise would oblige to reparent the children. Hopefully Qt
allows to use existing windows as children.

This remark is not yet another complaint about TeXmacs code but an
indication that there is too many ways to do it so creating a generic
API and adaptators is probably a major task that will also preclude to
use the strength of each toolkit. On the other hand we don't want to
do what I have heard about lyx: that klyx and lyx are hopefully out of
sync.

BTW: an advantage using widgets is that one can define a backcolor for
each widget so that a damaged widget is automatically repainted
in that color even before the application can repaint it. This a good
way to maintain the illusion of a physical tool even on the worse
condition. BTW: I have tried to use a backcolor in TeXmacs but
probably did not got right the color allocation because I did not
get the right color.

--
  stef