Re: [Texmacs-dev] Wiki

From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Wiki
Date: 30 Jul 2002 20:59:37 +0200

Hi all,

first of all, I'm on a slow and expensive link. I have been moving to a
new home in the mountains and so far I have had only mobile telephone
connectivity (via GPRS). So please be patient with the work on the wiki.

Now for the explanations

We're using ZWiki 0.9.8. I planned to do some work to switch to 0.9.9 a
while ago, but found an annoying bug with forms & mozilla that was
corrected in the dev release. Since our wiki is a valuable resource
(even for non texmacs users) I didn't want to put in either a crippled
(no mozilla) or an unstable ZWiki release. I'm waiting for the next
stable release to do some work on the wiki.

Regarding the permissions, basically all you suggested is doable. It's
zope!. So I'm going to have a look again at that and will send here the
conclusions. I'm also for a more open wiki, but understand the security
concerns. I don't know how to block an specific IP though, but remember
that the object database is transactional and admits undos. Just go to
http://yoursubscriptkiddietoypage.com/manage and visit the section
'undo'. You can there revert ;) the page to it's previous state through
several transactions (>10).

What we can do is to compile a list of sensitive pages which will be
editable only by a limited group of people, and mark them as only
editable by admins. To encourage people to sign contributions we should
prompt them to sign in as wiki users, by creating a personal page and
setting the appropriate cookies. That's not the same as the zope users I
was giving up until now.

I feel that the TeXmacs website needs a big overhaul (read:
simplification), and very specially better integration with the wiki.
But I don't have too much time for it. Joris, do you know something
about Zope in the texmacs.org server?. That would enable us to develop
the site collaboratively, so we could each be responsible of a set of
pages in the site. Please think about it.

regards,
álvaro.

--
álvaro.tejero.cantero