Re: [Texmacs-dev] Reorganization of the menubar

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Reorganization of the menubar
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:20:40 +0200 (MET DST)

> I do not like the new names of some of the top menus. I think I have
> to say it now befor it is cast in stone.
>
> I find the "Go" and "See" menu titles are too short to be really
> descriptive.
>
> Considering how difficult it was to find a name for the "Go" menu,
> its arguable relevance in a web browser metaphor (esp. with the online
> help) and its expected future evolution with Back, Forward, etc. items,
> I will go with it.
>
> However, I think the "See" menu is wrong. If you examine web browsers
> (I checked Galeon and Konqueror) you will see they does have an
> equivalent menu, but it is called "View" (which I find much more
> intuitive). Additionnaly, that menu is placed after the "File" and
> "Edit" menus and before the "Go" menu. I also noticed I intuitively
> look for that menu more at the beginning of the menubar.
>
> So, I propose to rename the "See" menu to "View" and change the order
> of the first menubar items to "File", "Edit", "View", "Go". That will
> provide a look and feel more consistent with other applications.
>
> You may argue that "Go" menu is used often, an so it must be placed at
> the beginning of the menubar. I am not sure that is a valid argument
> since in many applcations the most often menus are around the middle
> of the menu bar (nearer to the cursor on the average). Moreover, the
> real fix would be to provide keyboard shortcuts to switch buffers.

I also checked several editors and browsers and you seem to be right.
I probably should make it something like

        File Edit View Insert Text Paragraph Document Go Tools Settings Help

By the way, what about changing "Go" into "Browse"?

> Additionnally, I think the menubar items spacing should be increased
> by about 25 or 50%. I find it difficult to make out the different
> items since anti-aliasing tend to make the typographic grey of the
> menubar more uniform.

I am not sure. One also has to be careful that everything
still fits on an 800 x 600 screen in all foreign languages.