Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Maximal window size

From: Stéphane Payrard
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Maximal window size
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:35:30 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 01:27:33PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > > Thanks for reporting this problem; this seems to be a problem with certain
> > > window managers; which window manager do you use?
> > >
> > I have a KDE Release 2.2.2-2. I think it is the RedHat 7.2 + updates. But
> > I've tried just to be sure with Gnome (SawFish WM) and TWM. Same behaviour.
> > Neither -dpi option doesn't change anything.
> >
> > That's what xwininfo says when the texmacs window is maximized.
> > The screen's resolution is 1856x1392x16bitcolor with DPI 130.
>
> Thanks for the details. I have taken some time to look at the problem.
> It should be fixed in the next release, in a way which hopefully will
> not raise other problems...
>
> <Joris>

Apparently we can get it for free when we will have moved to KDE.
The searches to solve this problem made me hit KDE documentation
and I realize this is the way to go.

Currently, to do it we must rip-off the KDE code.
Relevant code is in QWidget.cc for  QWidget::showFullScreen()
qwidget_x11.cpp                for qt_wait_for_window_manager(QWidget)

I have not yet made the connexion with the spec, KWin is said to be compliant.
But I am not sure that QWidget::showFullScreen() really uses that feature.
Otherwise, how kwin could guess to hide the window when moving to another
virtual desktop.
BTW: The QEvent seems only use by       qsizegrip.cpp.

See  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/x187.html
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN for the specif

At least this wild goose chase (so far) had taught me to appreciate KDE.

--
  stef