[Texmacs-dev] ispell problem for german (and probably others)

From: Ralf Treinen
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] ispell problem for german (and probably others)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:52:39 +0200

Hi,

Spell checking with ispell does not work correctly with the german
dictionary for words containing Umlaut characters. I checked with
the ispell.el file from emacs: It seems that it is necessary to
send the string "~latin1" to the ispell process, in order to make
it recognize words with Umlauts.  I don't understand enough of
edit_spell.genc.cc to fix it myself, I guess it is trivial to fix for
someone who knows the code.

Here is a demonstration of the behaviour from the command line:

% ispell -a -d german
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 10/10/95, patch 1
Fächer
*
& cher 5 2: Chef, Chor, Chur, eher, her

% ispell -a -d german
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 10/10/95, patch 1
~latin1
Fächer
*

I guess the same applies to castelano, russian, portuguese, as the file
ispell.el marks them as "latin1".

-Ralf.