Re: [Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Philosophy document
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 20:21:25 +0200 (MET DST)

On 25 May 2002, Álvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >From daily usage and surprise, and from the impressions gathered in
> reading user input, I sincerely miss a "philosophy statement" for
> TeXmacs. I guess we would all better understand the editor's behaviour
> if such a document existed.

Part of this is in the Gutenberg document TeXmacs.pdf and
I do not have time to write something better now.

> In particular, there are some design choices such as those concerning
> visual cursor motion, environment creation instead of toggling the
> current when selecting a different environment, and no-toggle behaviour
> of line markup such as strong or emphasis which I presume obey to some
> assumptions which would have their place in the proposed document.

Yes, but this is typically something which might change...

> I would do it myself if I knew the reasons behind these choices and/or
> if they are subject to change.
>
> So... the only thing I can do here is to support the writing of a short
> document on this topic.

I think that it would be great if you could contribute to
the documentation effort. It would for instance be nice
if you could write some pages for the tutorial.

> PS3. Three, unrelated questions which I do not have time to post in the
> wiki right now:

> 1) it seems it is impossible to get TeXmacs to do the
> long dash (three dashes).

This should indeed be done.

> 2) shift+cursor movement other than arrows
> doesn't work (i.e.: shift + Ctrl-e). is this intended?.

Yes, Ctrl-e does not exist for M$.

> 3) I have
> noticed that TeXmacs uses the user setting for hyphenation when
> printing... wouldn't it be more reasonable if it delivered the document
> with professional hyphenation _always_?

I want to do this as soon as the speed of the professional hyphenation
algorithm has been improved. I don't know when.

Yours, Joris

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage