Re: [Texmacs-dev] Using STL

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Using STL
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 14:30:58 +0200

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 11:23, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> OK, I now see what that is. Please do not use STL containers for the
> moment. One day, we may see whether we should move to STL containers,
> but not now. In fact, I don't see which STL containers should be useful
> now anyway; we have arrays, lists and hashtables. We will not need much
> else.

As I said previously, I need a sorted associative container, and there is
no such thing in your classes.

A sorted associative container is an associative container like your
hashmap, but additionnaly it provides an ordering based on a comparison
on the key. I need this to implement VALUE assignations in TMSL
efficiently.

> I also would like you to avoid using too many new templated classes
> in your program, because this hugely increases the size of the
> executable. So please use the existing classes, like tree, array<int>,
> hashmap<string,tree> etc. whenever possible.

I do, but I am not willing to write a new one if the STL already has what
I need.

> Please keep in touch with me about the main design structure,
> which has to be kept both elegant and efficient.

I will be.

Once I have figured it out, I will send you my heaviy commented draft
source code.
--

                                  -- David --