[Texmacs-dev] Re: suggestions

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: suggestions
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 18:41:40 +0200 (MET DST)

On 9 May 2002, Steingrim Dovland wrote:

> Hi
>
> First of all, thanks for a great program :-) I've just started using
> TeXmacs after I discovered it by accident on the web, and right now
> I'm writing a compendium in astronomy for my astronomy-classes at the
> university (about 50 pages), and I must say that I'm impressed.  I
> used to write LaTeX in Emacs, but this is so much faster, probably
> because I already know most commands.
>
> I have one small suggestion, that I would love to see implemented, and
> that is the forward-word and backward-word commands that are bound to
> M-<right> and M-<left> in Emacs.  These shortcuts are what I truly
> miss when editing in TeXmacs.
>
> If this is already implemented, I must have missed it, so forgive me
> if I'm wrong!

Hi,

Thanks for your nice reaction. We indeed plan to implement bindings for
forward-word and backward-word, although we did not have time to do so.
Also, we are having a discussion on how to reorganize the keyboard
mappings:

        http://alqua.com/tmresources/redesign%20of%20the%20keyboard%20shortcuts
        http://alqua.com/tmresources/keyboard%20proposals%20by%20Joris

If you have any ideas, then you are welcome to post your comments.
In fact, we do not know yet what to do for the shortcuts involving
arrow keys: there are many other possible uses for them and
we have not yet made a final choice...

I also would like to note that there are some TeXmacs users who want to
build a data base with freely distributable texts for scientists
(at the moment limited to physics). If you want to join this effort,
please contact us again. I would like to make the texts available by CVS at

        http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/texmacs-doc/

as examples of texts that you can write with TeXmacs.

Best wishes, Joris

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage