[Texmacs-dev] Re: Egyptian TeXmacs user

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Egyptian TeXmacs user
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:38:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Alaa The Great wrote:

> Hi Joris,
>
> My name is Alaa, from Egypt, I'm writing to thank you for GNU TeXmacs, I'm
> using it for lots of my wordprocessing when it has perfect LaTeX conversion
> I'll stop using LyX and move to TeXmacs completely.
>
> I have a request/suggestion that I know is big and hard to  achieve but I
> would really love to have Arabic language support on TeXmacs I still have
> to use M$ windows whenever I want to write in my native language I'm sure a
> big percentage of Arab Academics and University Students will start using
> TeXmacs and free GNU software when it has Arabic support. there are already
> Arabic TeX fonts as part of the ArabTeX but it would still be a big job. it
> worth it though, if it has Arabic support it will be very easy to have
> Hebrew support and it will serve a very wide base of users who speak Arabic
> or Arabic based languages like Urdu.
>
> I'm sorry I can't work on this myself, I'm only  a beginning programmer.
>
> cheers,
> Alaa

Hi again,

I am willing to implement bidirectional typesetting,
although I can not promise a precise time table.
In order to start, could one of you please tell me
what I should do on a Reh Hat 7.2 box in order to
get Arabtex working? (I would prefer an rpm)

Best wishes and thanks again for your reactions,

Joris