Re: [Texmacs-dev] Current work, nogencc and tree in generic programming

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Current work, nogencc and tree in generic programming
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:38:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, David Allouche wrote:

> While you were away, I ported TeXmacs to plain C++. See:
> http://ddaa10.free.fr/texmacs/patch/1.0.0.1
> The release 1.0.0.1-nogencc-0.5 is functionnaly equivalent to the official
> 1.0.0.1 release, but the compilation and installation system is broken:
> currently it only allows MIXED compilation and is only tested on
> i386-gnu-linux.

I am not fundamentally opposed to this idea, but you will have to test
this no-gencc version of TeXmacs on all architectures which work at
this moment first. When I have time, I will also check whether there
are no hidden performance losses (or gains; either in time or space).

> By the way, I do not really see the use of the DYNAMIC compilation style. And
> I think that, by default, TeXmacs should be compiled with -O2 optimization
> since that brings a good 30% speed-up.

I am not sure; we have to make detailed performance compairisons.

> I am currently working on the ttree structure. I am porting most of the code
> of the tree class into a new base template class basic_tree<tree_traits>.
> This additional genericity should help reduce the amount of code duplication
> in tree, ttree and rewriter for no runtime cost.

Hmmm, we'll see; remember that we might replace tree -> ttree
at the end anyway.