Re: Texinfo Priorities

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Texinfo Priorities
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 07:18:06 +0100

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 07:06:40PM -0400, Randall Sawyer wrote:
> The following is a list of the priorities of texinfo as
> I see them. Please, feel free to correct me if you disagree.
>
> Master #1: (La|Te)?TeX: formatted structured content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into hard copy book or manual.
>
> Master #2: info: navigable content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into info files navigable within a
> terminal. Formatting is constrained.
>
> Peer #1: XML: document content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into equivalent XML.
>
> Client #1: DocBook: structured content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into electronic book content - which
> is in turn convertible into other XML formats.
>
> Client #2: HTML: navigable structured content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into HTML content. Formatting
> provided via CSS.
>
> Client #3: plaintext: content
> Content of texinfo files are converted into into plain text fileas.
> Formatting is constrained.

Yes, these are possible formats that makeinfo can convert Texinfo source
into.  The first item in your list, TeX (it is not LaTeX that is used),
is different from the others as Texinfo source files are processed by
the TeX program in combination with the texinfo.tex file.  If makeinfo
can do DVI or PDF output it is only as a wrapper around TeX, which does
most of the processing.