Re: Using Perl's cc

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Using Perl's cc
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 14:00:59 +0100

On 4 July 2015 at 13:45, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> But autoreconf is the source of the problem, no?  Here:
>
>   $ libtoolize
>   libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
>   libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
>   libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/ltoptions.m4' to
> `aclocal.m4'.
>   libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/ltsugar.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
>   libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/ltversion.m4' to
> `aclocal.m4'.
>   libtoolize: You should add the contents of `m4/lt~obsolete.m4' to
> `aclocal.m4'.
>   libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
>
>   $ aclocal
>
>   $ autoreconf
>   Makefile.am:51: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
>   Makefile.am:51:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `LT_INIT'
>   Makefile.am:51:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
>   Makefile.am:51:   If `LT_INIT' is in `configure.ac', make sure
>   Makefile.am:51:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
>   autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

It might be because of the version of aclocal you are using. I ignored
the advice:

libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

because ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS has been removed from the latest automake
documentation and aclocal should be able to look at the use of
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR in configure.ac.

I am using aclocal from automake 1.15.