Note on OO function calls in Perl

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Note on OO function calls in Perl
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:25:43 +0100

I tried replacing some of the object-oriented method calls in
Parser.pm and Plaintext.pm to see if it would be any faster, e.g.

-  $result .= $self->_count_added($formatter->{'container'},
+  $result .= _count_added($self, $formatter->{'container'},

but it didn't make any difference that I could notice. My timing
measurements vary too much and I suspect they depend mostly on how
overheated my laptop has been getting.

This was recommended at http://makepp.sourceforge.net/2.0/perl_performance.html.

My version of Perl could make a difference:

 $perl --version

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 1 (v5.18.1) built for
i486-linux-thread-multi

My patches are attached in case anybody else wanted to try the same thing.

I doubt that I will find any Perl tricks to effect a noticeable
speedup. I think I have spent too long on this.