Re: Texinfo::Structuring::gdt

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Texinfo::Structuring::gdt
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 14:57:51 +0200

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:34:12PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> I've added some notes to "parsetexi/TODO" about the problem of how to
> implement the interface that Texinfo::Structuring::gdt uses in the C
> rewrite of the Texinfo::Parser module. If I have missed something or
> indeed if anyone has any thoughts or comments please let me know. Also
> any remembers any discussions of why it was implemented this way
> please point me to them.

I read it in the diff and it seemed clear to me.

And I think I understand how it could be a problem.  Using texinfo
commands in document strings appeared as an interesting feature to me,
in order to be as independent as possible of the backend being in use,
as well as from the encoding, and also allow to have rich formatting and
more meaning full possibility to customize the strings.  Using @value
with the current hack could probably be modified, but that would not
really change the issue.

But I also understand that it complexifies the situation.  Among the
drawbacks

* translators need to understand Texinfo at least to some extent
* error reporting within the gdt strings is not easy as it doesn't
  flow naturally in the document.

--
Pat