Re: (dir) -> TOP_NODE_UP_URL

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: (dir) -> TOP_NODE_UP_URL
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:53:50 +0000

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> Patrice and all,
>
> Here is a small diff (not yet committed) which changes
> _external_node_href to output the value of TOP_NODE_UP_URL (if
> specified) for any external file "dir".  My (weird) test file below.

Using TOP_NODE_UP_URL this way seems right to me. A link to the "dir"
page is still generated at the Top node by default, as far as I am
aware. It would be better for it not to, although I couldn't see how
to implement this easily when I looked at the code a few weeks ago. I
don't think it's essential for the upcoming release; I'd like to see
the speedups for makeinfo that have already been obtained to get out
there (as well as the other work), then after the next release I'd
like to work on getting the C replacement for the paragraph formatter
integrated, as this would result in quite significant speedups for the
Info output.