Re: awk texindex switch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: awk texindex switch
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:25:51 +0200

> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 23:54:13 GMT
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I just committed changes so that the awk texindex written by Arnold will
> get built and installed instead of the C texindex.

No offense, but why is that a good idea?  What do we gain?

> What I do for development is make a symlink to
> texinfo-checkout/texindex/texindex somewhere in PATH, so that that
> version will be used.  (I haven't actually tried a make install
> yet.)
>
> That texindex file is generated from texindex.in by make.  It's a small
> wrapper script that execs awk on the texindex.awk script file.
>
> This was just the first integration, I haven't done anything for make
> check, among other things, as yet ...
>
> Eli, if there are problems with this approach on Windows machines, I'd
> have no way of knowing (or testing or remedying), so please let us know
> if need be.

Sorry, I don't really understand which part you'd like feedback for.
If it's about symlinks, then yes, using those on Windows is not a very
good idea, as it brings all kinds of inconveniences.

If it's about having to invoke texindex.awk via a shell script, then
we should provide a batch file to do the same on Windows, similar to
what I submitted to Groff lately.