Re: makeinfo test suite

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: makeinfo test suite
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:37:00 GMT

    I'm not sure what the difference is between the tests in "tp/t" and
    "tp/tests".

Well, of course Patrice is the one who did all this, but I believe tp/t
would be used by a putative Perl module's "make test", whereas tp/tests
is what gets used by our GNU Texinfo's package "make check".

I don't think Patrice has ever uploaded a module for this stuff to CPAN,
but he carefully designed it all to be possible.

    It would be bad to regenerate the tests (i.e. copying the actual
    results to the reference results) if the actual results were wrong.

That's for sure :).

    in  t/results/indices/encoding_index_ascii, I did
    cp out_html/index.html res_html/index.html
    to regenerate.

It doesn't seem like that should be necessary.

    Is there an approved way to do this?

I hope Patrice will weigh in.  I've never done anything with t/
directly.  Just running the regular tests (and long-checks) has been
demanding enough ...

    I haven't attempted to run the TeX4ht or LaTeX2HTML tests yet.

Speaking as one of the purported tex4ht maintainers, I'll be surprised
if it goes easily.

Best,
Karl