Re: give --index-search example on man page

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: give --index-search example on man page
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:45:27 +0100

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     To do that, use "info -f grub -n
>     badram". (The current development version allows "info grub -n badram"
>     as well.) You can also do "info -n '(grub)'badram".
>
> We should add two examples to the --help for this; finding an arbitrary
> node without reference to menus or indices is useful.

I've amended the wording of the "info emacs buffers" example and added
two other examples.

>     Future versions will search in the indices for "badram" for the
>     command "info grub badram" if no "badram" entry is found in the
>     top-level menu of the "grub" file that it finds.
>
> How about just searching for a node "badram" instead of involving the
> indices?  That seems more in line with what a user would expect.

If the user didn't see the --node option described in "info
info-stnd", they'll now see it in the man page or --help text. Maybe
an example should be added to the Info manual as well.

I personally find the index search from the command-line feature
extremely useful, so I can type something like "info libc htons" and
jump straight to the function description, or "info bash set" to go
straight to the description of the builtin command. (You wouldn't know
to type "info bash 'The Set Builtin'".)

Being able to specify a name of a node to go to is useful as well, and
is easily done with the --node option. We just need to make sure that
a user knows about it.