Re: Status of SGR codes in man pages vs. overstrike in info browser

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Status of SGR codes in man pages vs. overstrike in info browser
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 18:52:42 GMT

    many distributions of groff turn this off by
    default. They instead require the variable GROFF_SGR to be set.

By "many" do you mean "Debian", or do you know that other distros do it
too?

For the record, on my CentOS system, I was unable to get ornamented man
pages in info under any circumstances, using either original GNU groff
(that I compiled myself from source) or the system groff, or either the
current development info program or the system info, setting GROFF_SGR
or not, using --raw-escapes or not, etc. (GROFF_NO_SGR had no visible
effect either.)

Just plain "man ssh" output is ornamented, though.

Not that I care, just reporting :).