Re: [5516] first support for quoting node names

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [5516] first support for quoting node names
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 21:24:37 GMT

Gavin,

    +   TODO: Decide on best method of quoting. */

Indeed.  I have all your various messages saved but haven't put together
the time to carefully consider them yet.  (And given TeX Live and other
things, not likely to happen real soon.  Sigh.)  I hadn't been ignoring
it, though it may have seemed like it.  Sorry.  I wasn't expecting you
to implement it.

Anyway, my one off-the-cuff thought was that you proposed using DEL
because it is ignored in terminals.  Ok, but how about using NUL
instead?  Which is also ignored as far as I can see.  Or rather, NUL NUL
to avoid ambiguity with the misbegotten NUL BS syntax.  That way, at
least we avoid introducing yet another special character into Info files.

Like I said, off the cuff, so if this is obviously dumb, apologies in
advance.

Meanwhile, could you please write a minimal patch to the Info
specification chapter in texinfo.texi to describe your proposal?
It would have to be done anyway, so ...

Thanks,

P.S.
+          *output = 0;
..
+      (*output)[len] = '\0';

Wouldn't it be more consistent to either use NULL in the first
assignment (if I'm following), or 0 in the second?

P.P.S.
+  long len;
Is using long instead of size_t going to cause dumb declaration
conflicts?