strange situation with bytes counting

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: strange situation with bytes counting
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:00:12 +0200

Hello Sergey,

I am trying to understand the issue with arithmetic node byte count
changed and I have stumbled accross something very strange.

Unless I missed something, there is something different with the new
texi2any because in the manual there is something between @setfilenname
and the first @node:

 @setfilename split_test_before_first_node.info

 truc machin et reuc machin  ze aze zea zae eaz eaz zae

 @node Top
 @top top

In texi2any in that case, if the info file is split there is a bug, the
additional text appears in the first subfile with nodes in the preamble
but it is not counted in the tag table.  I have prepared a fix for that.

But info cannot find the Top node with --strict-node-location even with
the fix.  Where it becomes very strange is that with the info files
generated by makeinfo 4.13, info can find the Top node, still with
--strict-node-location.  The count is correct here, and the only
difference I see is that the preamble is the same for all the files
including the first file with the tags and no node.  And if I change the
preamble length in that file, info cannot find the Top node anymore.

I generated the info files with
~/src/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo --split-size 20
split_test_before_first_node.texi

and (with the fix for counting additional text applied)

~/src/texinfo/tp/texi2any.pl --split-size 20 split_test_before_first_node.texi

Do you know what's going on?  Do you think that it is a bug in the info
reader or in texi2any?  My feeling is that it is a bug in info, info
should be able to locate the Top node whatever is in the preamble of the
tag file -- but I may be wrong.

I attach 2 archives:
tsplit.tar.gz contains the files generated by makeinfo 4.13.
tsplit-new.tar.gz contains the files generated by texi2any.pl (with the
fix).

I check whether info can find the Top node by doing in either of those
directories:
~/src/texinfo/info/ginfo --strict-node-location -f
./split_test_before_first_node.info

I also attach the patch that fixes texi2any.pl although you should not need
it.

It'd be nice if you could have a look and determine who's wrong...

--
Pat