Re: spaces after command name

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: spaces after command name
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:38:55 +0100

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:22:35PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     There are no spaces allowed between the command name and the opening
>     brace.
>
> 1) If we make this the rule, presumably we should put it in the
> manual.  (I don't see it there now.)

In '@-Command Syntax':

3. Alphabetic commands that require arguments within braces.
     These commands start with @ followed by a letter or a word,
     followed by an argument within braces.  For example, the command
     address@hidden' indicates the introductory or defining use of a term; it is
     used as follows: `In Texinfo, @@-commands are @dfn{mark-up}
     commands.'

To me "@ followed by a letter or a word,
     followed by an argument within braces."
means that there is nothing between the "letter or a word" and the
opening brace of the argument.

> 2) Since the very first pretesters ran into this, perhaps we should
> reconsider the rule.  Regarding the "less information to keep" argument,
> well, we should just declare that such spaces are completely ignored and
> not kept in the XML output, ie, ignore them lexically and forget about
> them.  It also seems good, in general, to avoid differences between TeX
> and makeinfo when possible.
>
> Wdyt?

I can do that, sure.  The other possibility would be to force all
users to remove those spaces...

--
Pat