Re: parallel-tests

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: parallel-tests
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 01:16:22 GMT

    "automake --add-missing" should install it for you automatically.

I didn't try it, but I don't doubt that much.

My question is, what is going to keep it up to date when (say) 1.12.5 is
released with some bug fix for test-driver?  --add-missing doesn't
update files as far as I can see (not that I'd expect it to, given its
name), and automake -f didn't do it either.  That is, I changed the
scriptversion= line to an old date and ran automake -f and it did not
get updated.  Furthermore, I would be very leery of updating things from
the latest automake release because, very often, gnulib is going to have
a newer version.  Ugh.

If your answer is that the default is to use symlinks and therefore the
update with a new automake release "just happens", well, 1) there is
still automake 1.13 to be considered, when the symlink target would
change to .../share/automake-1.13/, and 2) I prefer (need to use)
copies.

This general problem of keeping common files updated is why I invented
the little srclist mechanism many years ago.  However, because the
target file embeds a version number there is no future-proof way to make
that work either.  That's where my suggestion of gnulib came in (so no
version number would be involved), though I certainly recognize that is
no easy panacea, and am not pushing for it.

Anyway, all a long-winded reply on such a tiny matter.  Sorry.  I guess
the simplest answer is to add something to my checklist for making a
release and/or automake-update.  Not the end of the world.