Re: makeinfo vs. texi2any

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: makeinfo vs. texi2any
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:57:56 +0100

On 02/20/2012 01:35 AM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 04:22:46PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>> Totally belatedly, I know, but I've been wondering if we really want to
>> promulgate the new command name, texi2any.  Granted it is a much more
>> accurate name than "makeinfo", but it's already been pretty strange to
>> be talking about, and documenting, both names, and the users haven't
>> even really been exposed to them yet.
>
> It is really a better name,

I agree.  From the perspective of someone like me that knows only the
required minimum about the Texinfo system, and basically nothing about
its recent development, the name "makeinfo" is evocative of something
that is just meant to create '.info' files, while 'texi2any' sounds like
something that can be used to convert '.texi' input into any of the
supported output format.

> this is, in my opinion, a good enough reason to install it.

As an outsider, I agree.

Just my 2 cents,
  Stefano