generated texinfo files and automake

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: generated texinfo files and automake
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:17:40 +0100

Hello,

I have tried to do a Makefile.am for tp_api, in a separate directory,
with tp_api.texi being generated from the pod files.  However I can't
manage to have something working.

The point is that I would like to have something behaving as if
info_TEXINFOS = tp_api.texi
was specified, but with tp_api.texi generated thanks to a make rule
that I provide in Makefile.am (from pod files in the source).  And
also I would like to have tp_api.texi shipped, but for that I could
simply put it in EXTRA_DIST.

Now, if there is no tp_api.texi file to begin with, if I use
info_TEXINFOS = tp_api.texi
whatever I tried (BUILT_SOURCES, tp_api_SOURCES, info_SOURCE, tp_api_TEXINFOS)
automake complains
automake: cannot open < doc/tp_api/tp_api.texi: No such file or directory

If I try nodist_ or dist_ prefix, like dist_info_TEXINFOS or
nodist_info_TEXINFOS, automake proceeds but info generation rules are not
setup.

As a side note (I don't think it is relevant), the rule to redo
tp_api.texi is

tp_api.texi: $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Common.pm
$(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Parser.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Structuring.pm $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Report.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Encoding.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/NodeNameNormalization.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Text.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Texinfo.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Converter.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Unicode.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Info.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/DocBook.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/XML.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/Plaintext.pm \
  $(top_srcdir)/tp/Texinfo/Convert/HTML.pm
^I$(PERL) -I $(top_srcdir)/Pod-Simple-Texinfo/lib/ -I $(top_srcdir)/tp/
$(top_srcdir)/Pod-Simple-Texinfo/pod2texi.pl --base-level=section --top
'Texinfo perl module' -o $@ $^

Remark: there is another difficulty, as tp_api.texi includes many other texi
files that should be shipped, but I'll turn to that later -- and I could
even avoid this difficulty by having another intermediary file with
texinfo expanded, with include files expanded in the final texi file.

--
Pat