Re: # directive description

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: # directive description
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 01:13:34 +0100

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 01:35:03AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I��don't know how to generate a non printing character to test...
>
> Just C-q 001 in Emacs to generate a CTRL-A, for example?

I use vim ;-).  But I am a very basic user, I don't know much on vi.  I can
use emacs, though, it is much more intuitive than vi, but still I prefer
vi...

> Or
> echo foo >`printf '\x01'`
>
> would generate a file whose name is the single character CTRL-A.
>
> Whether or not cpp actually follows their stated rules, I didn't check.
> I'm surprised an accented character was left as-is.

I tested with your tricks, and in my tests, the ^A is kept as is:

echo "int main() { }" > aa`printf '\x01'`bb.h
echo '#include "aa'`printf '\x01'`'bb.h"' > inc.c

And look at
cpp inc.c

or
gcc -E inc.c

And gcc compiles the file ok.

So, what to do now?  Keep things as is, report a bug to cpp?

--
Pat