Re: tp/ all-local target

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: tp/ all-local target
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:15:32 +0200

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:30:27AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> What comes to mind is that since we are already generating part of the
> Makefile, we could also generate extra rules do the job, like
> t/locales/it/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo_document.mo: ../po_document/it.gmo
>       $(INSTALL_DATA) ../po_document/it.gmo $@
>
> And make them dependencies on all-local (or something).

I don't like much generated Makefile parts, but indeed it looks right.

> The rm -rf's of the target directories would need to happen as part of
> some clean target.  Admittedly that means stale files could stick
> around, but that seems no worse than any other case of stale files.

Why would stale file stick around?  I see the reverse problem, a
run of the script that generate the rules wil have to be done each time
a new file is added...

> (Incidentally, it seems an rm -rf of $(relative_include_dir) is
> missing?)

Indeed.

> Wdyt?  If this approach seems ok to you, I can work on it, assuming you
> have plenty of other (real) things to deal with.

Not really, but I had plenty of work the last few days.

I am currently happy with the state of tp, there are no big issues I am
aware of.  That being said I still have a lot of FIXME in the code, and
a big TODO list...

--
Pat