Re: upper case in command and end of sentence

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: upper case in command and end of sentence
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 01:12:32 +0200

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:52:13PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>       @code{PATH}. @env{PATH}. And similar
>
> Ah.  Now that is a different story.  Being inside a command gives
> texinfo.tex a chance to reset the \spacefactor (by inserting an empty
> hbox with \null [recording these details as I just looked them up :)]),
> and so the capital letter has no effect.

Is it for every command or only code-like commands?  I think the that for text
commands in general (like @strong, @emph, @asis...) a period after the
command closing should lead to a double space.  For code like command I
would favor the reverse.  Maybe for @var too.

>   @TeX{}. Also
> has this same effect, i.e., the above is an end-of-sentence space
> despite the capital X.

Ok.

> Also, the \spacefactor (end-of-sentenceness) is preserved across
> @footnote.
>
>     address@hidden C
> is not an end of sentence due to the capital letter.  Maybe it should
> be.  It would not be hard to change.  I'm not sure if there's a use for
> the present behavior.

This one lookds clearly wrong to me.  And such construct exist since
depending on the style used footnotes may be before or after the period,
if internet is not wrong ;-).

> The same is true for @anchor (preserves \spacefactor), but since @anchor
> ignores following spaces, I couldn't quickly figure out an example using
> Texinfo.  One using the \relax TeX primitive is
>
>     address@hidden@relax{} B
> (The space is not an end of sentence, because of the capital Y.)

I don't really get this one...  But it doesn't really matter, for anchors,
it seems clear that, besides having the following spaces ignored, the
anchor should not change the rules regarding spaces and punctuation.

--
Pat